Tuesday 20 October 2009

Stars, lots of stars....



Did I have a lot of fun last night :-) I belong to a quilting group called 'Material Girls'. We meet once a month for two hours at a community center. I have been coming to the group since we started it about 10 years ago. It is mainly a quilting group, but others crafts are represented as well. Everyone is welcome so we have the absolute beginners and new to quilting/patchwork to the very experienced. Usually about 15-25 ladies show up when we meet. Sometimes we have a lecture or a workshop, other times we help each other, if somebody has come to a grinding hold with a project. Last night I taught the 24 ladies. It was such a good laugh.
I had been asked to teach them how to make the very traditional Danish Christmas ornament, an origami star folded in paper or fabric. When I told my sister that I was going to teach star making to the group she just looked at me and said "you are a very brave lady!" She claims that she is yet to figure out how to make the stars after countless unsuccessful attempts. Anyway... All I had asked the ladies to bring was a small pointed pair of scissor and patience! I would provide a kit with pre cut strips and instructions. And I'm proud to say that most of the ladies went home with a star and a big smile on their face and no one broke down in tears..... :-)


3 comments:

Rose Petal said...

Gorgeous star ornaments. You have now got me thinking about my Christmas tree decorations! I will have to find a pattern and try to make some of these.

librarylady0604 said...

We call them Moravian. My grandma learned to make them about 15 years ago along with the traditional German Goosefeather Christmas trees. She's done countless workshops teaching people to make them both. For several years she even taught 5th graders to make the stars for one of her teacher friends. She has sold both items in craft shows all across Oklahoma. I was so pleased to see someone had posted your stars on Pinterest. Sarah OK, USA

SewDanish-Scandinavian Textile Art, Unique Handmade Supplies said...

Thank you Sarah for your sweet comment. I'm glad to hear that the craft is being taught. I think it is so important that this old craft technique is being kept alive. Birgitte